Classes are currently being taught online. All physical facilities are closed to the public at this time and employees are working remotely.
Please visit for additional information and to find contact information for various departments.
If you need additional assistance, please visit My Community Services and our Community Employment Resources.

Frequently Asked Questions About District IDs

What Will the Colleges of DCCCD Provide as a Valid Photo Identification Card?

As a student or employee, your college or human resources office will provide a valid photo identification card (“ID card”).  

The ID card is the official identification for use of college or district facilities and for other such purposes as designated by district policies, regulations or operational guidelines. The ID card includes a digitized photo. All district employees and students will visibly wear the ID card while on college/district property or at college/district-sponsored or related activities.

The ID card is not considered a legal form of identification. 

Who Is Eligible to Receive an Identification Card?

Students enrolled in and attending any of the colleges of DCCCD and full-time and part-time employees of the district are eligible for an ID card. Volunteers, contractors, vendors and visitors are not currently eligible for an ID card.

How Will the District ID be Used?

The ID card will be used to verify the identity and personnel/student status of the holder of the card while on district property or at any college/district-sponsored or college/district
-related activity. A student or employee on district property or at a college/district-sponsored or college/district-related activity shall present their ID card upon request by any college or district official.

What do I Need To Have With Me To Get an ID Card?

You will need to present a valid government-issued photo ID or two alternate forms of identification, one of which must be photo identification. If you are a student, you must also present your paid tuition fee receipt.

Where do I Obtain an ID Card?

You may obtain your ID card at your home college (once campuses re-open) upon initial enrollment as a student, or upon initial hire as an employee. In the case of students, your ID card will be issued by Student Life/Student Services. In the case of employees, your ID Card will be issued by Human Resources. Visit Photo ID Information for specific details. 

Can I Let Someone Borrow My ID Card?

No. The rights and privileges associated with the ID card are non-transferrable. Only the person to whom the ID card is issued is eligible to use it. The transfer of an ID card to the possession of another person or the unauthorized use or possession of another person’s ID card is a violation of district policy and may result in confiscation of the ID card and/or disciplinary action.

What If I Lose My ID Card?

Your college will provide the first ID card at no cost to students and employees. Individuals who have lost their ID card or have had it stolen should report it as soon as possible to Student Life/Student Services or Human Resources, as applicable. A fee of $10 will be assessed to replace lost or stolen cards. 

If your ID card is damaged due to normal wear and tear, you will be issued a free replacement ID Card.

What If I Find Someone Else's ID Card?

If you find someone else’s ID card, please return it to Student Life/Student Services or Human Resources, as applicable. Attempting to use a lost and/or stolen ID card for any purpose is a violation of district policy.

I Am a Distance Learning/Online Student; Do I Need an ID Card?

All students of the colleges must wear visibly their college-issued identification card while on college/district property or at any college/district-sponsored or college/district-related activity. If you are a distance learning student and need to visit a college campus, you must get an ID Card. See “Where do I obtain an ID card?” 

Can I Wear My ID Card at Another College of DCCCD, or Do I Need To Obtain Multiple IDs?

You can wear your ID card at any of the colleges; there is no need to obtain an ID from each college.

What Is a Preferred Name and Why Would Someone Want To Use a Preferred Name?

A student or employee of the college district may use a first name other than that individual’s legal first name on the ID card (the “Preferred Name”). 

The reasons for choosing a preferred name are personal and different for each person. Reasons for using a preferred name may include:

  • Wanting to use a nickname, middle name or initials
  • Wanting to use a stage name or gender neutral or gender non-conforming name
  • Wanting to use a name that a person is in the process of legally changing
The preferred name is for use within the district community. If you choose to use a preferred name on your ID card, it cannot be used as proof of legal identity and may impact its use as a form of ID. 

How Can I Request a Religious Accommodation Under the ID Policy?

The district shall authorize any reasonable request to accommodate a student or employee whose sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance conflicts with the requirements of the ID card policy unless doing so would pose an undue hardship. 

A request for a religious accommodation under this policy should be made to the individual's Student Life/Student Services or Human Resources department, as applicable. The designated administrator for each department shall consult with the Office of the General Counsel, the Office of Public Safety and Security and other administrative personnel of the district, as necessary, to determine the extent of the accommodation. Requests for religious accommodations will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.