Spring 2020 classes have resumed online.
Please visit dcccd.edu/coronavirus for additional information and to learn how to prepare for online classes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I take Spanish if I already speak Spanish? 

Just as English speakers must still take English to develop their reading and writing, you must continue to develop your Spanish on an academic level.  Mountain View College offers courses (SPAN 2313 and 2315) specifically for native speakers of Spanish or students with a higher level of proficiency.  Research shows that when you enhance your reading and writing in Spanish it will also improve those skills in English and any other language you decide to study.


Which Spanish course should I take?   

  1.  If you have never taken Spanish, or have little experience with Spanish, then you should start with SPAN 111, which is the first semester of beginning Spanish.
  2. If you already speak Spanish outside of the classroom on a regular basis, then you should take SPAN 2313 for native speakers.

    Do Spanish classes at Mountain View College transfer to four-year universities?

    Yes. Spanish classes are in all three tiers of the core curriculum.  When you complete the core curriculum and graduate with your associate's degree, all 4-year universities in Texas must accept your credits.


What type of Spanish will I learn at Mountain View College? 

You will be exposed to an academic Spanish that will enable you to read, write, and speak to native speakers from all over Latin America and Europe.  You will focus on building your vocabulary to talk about various topics and learn how to write in Spanish using proper grammar.  In addition to learning vocabulary and grammatical functions of the language, you will also be exposed to the various cultures of Spanish-speaking countries.


What Spanish courses are offered at Mountain View College? 

We offer conversational Spanish, beginning and intermediate Spanish, and culture and literature classes.  Speak to one of the Spanish professors to find out which course is best for you.


Does Mountain View College offer study-abroad Spanish courses? 

Yes. Every summer MVC travels to either Spain or Latin America.  The dates, length of trip, and location can differ. Contact a Spanish professor to find out which study-abroad program will be offered.


What is the two-track Spanish program?

Mountain View College has developed two programs of Spanish.  One program is for students who are native speakers (they grew up speaking Spanish, hear Spanish daily at home, etc.) and students who are learning Spanish as a second or third language.  Read more information about the two-track system on the Spanish Webpage.


What is the Spanish Placement Exam?

The Spanish Placement Exam (SPE) was designed by the MVC Spanish Department and is free to take.  It is used to determine which Spanish track you should pursue – the native-speaker track or the non native-speaker track.  Read more information about the SPE on the Spanish Webpage.