Student Leadership Institute
To sign up for SLI click below:
or come by the Office of Student Life (S1032) or call 214-860-8685
Student Leadership Institute
"Focus On Today, So You Can Build Your Tomorrow...”Every student has the ability to influence others, and as result, every student has leadership potential. The Student Leadership Institute helps you to identify the influence you currently have and helps you focus on developing the leadership skills you will need throughout not only your education, but your entire life. Specifically designed for Mountain View College students, the Student Leadership Institute is packed with workshops and activities that are fun, creative, and offer an engaging way for students to learn and practice leadership. The Institute focuses on developing timeless character traits and leadership principles through the power of image, conversation and experience.SLI helps student leaders:
- Break out of the ‘herd’ mentality to influence others in positive ways.
- Create educational environments that are conducive to higher grades and a greater future.
- Examine and expand their values.
- Increase empathy and minimize victimization.
- Discover their gifts and put them to use.
- Capitalize on their personal strengths in order to be career-ready upon graduation.
- Develop critical thinking skills that produce better life choices, such as choosing healthy friendships, becoming involved on campus and within the community, improving time management, and setting meaningful goals.
How to get involved?Pick up an application from the Office of Student Life in Room S1032. Classes are held most Thursdays from 12:30 – 1:50 p.m. in Rooms S1029/1030 (see calendar of events). Some workshops and guest lectures are subject to change. Membership Levels, Requirements & Benefits:(A minimum of 2 service projects will be required for student participation in the Student Recognition Day Ceremony.)
Other opportunities for event credit:
- Basic-Level Membership (2 or more events): Receives a leadership transcript, certificate, and eligibility to participate in the Student Recognition Day Ceremony
- Bronze-Level Membership (6 or more events/credits): Receives a leadership book, transcript, certificate, T-shirt, free student conference & travel opportunities, and eligibility to participate in the Student Recognition Day Ceremony
- Silver-Level Membership (10 or more events/credits): Receives a leadership book, transcript, certificate, T-shirt, free student conference & travel opportunities, and eligibility to participate in the Student Recognition Day Ceremony and Graduation Dinner Ceremony
- Gold-Level Membership (15 or more events/credits): Receives a leadership book, transcript, certificate, T-shirt, eligibility to participate in the Student Recognition Day Ceremony and Graduation Dinner Ceremony, and receipt of a MVC Graduation Ceremony stole
Leadership Institute Seminar DatesAll seminars begin at 12:30 p.m. in S1029/1030 except where indicated.
- Club Officers receive 2 event credits
- Ambassadors receive 2 event credits
- Club Members receive 1event credits
- Members who assist with event coordination receive 1-2 credits
For more information please come to The Office of Student Life (S1032) or call 214-860-8685.