Our emphasis is on teaching the writing process, and our goal is to help you become a better writer.
has been an integral focus of Mountain View College since the college’s
inception in August 1970. The college’s history with writing begins
with initiatives within the Developmental Writing and English
departments that later expanded to college-wide initiatives” (Mountain
View College, Dallas, TX - QEP Submission: The Pen Is Our Power, 19).
mission of the ACW is to produce better writers, and this is best
achieved by focusing on the three goals of MVCs Quality Enhancement Plan
(QEP): (1) To improve the perceptions, behaviors, and abilities of
student writers, (2) increase the amount and prominence of writing in
academic coursework, and (3) nurture a culture of writing through
awareness, exposure, and modeling.
WHO WE ARE…
- The Ink Spot Academic Center for Writing (ACW) provides MVC
students, staff, faculty, and the local community free consultations on
all aspects of writing.
- The ACW is staffed with highly qualified educators within the English, Education, ESL, and Special Education fields.
- We have done A LOT of writing and are eager to help MVC students find their VOICE on the page.
WHAT WE DO…
- Assist with all phases of the writing process
- Teach how to identify patterns of errors in writing
- Teach how to correct those errors independently
- Help improve writing style and interpret instructors’ comments on graded papers
- Help avoid specific problems in writing
- Teach higher order concerns, such as process, development, use of resources, and critical thinking
WHAT WE DO NOT DO…
- Proofread or edit papers for students
- Tell what grade a student should earn on an assignment
- Help students less than two hours before an assignment is due
- Write for students or mark on students' papers
HOW WE CAN HELP…
- Answering questions
- Reviewing essays
- Listening to ideas and giving feedback
- Planning the next step of the writing process
- Advising on time management
- Printing writing assignments
HOW YOU CAN HELP…
- Bring in an outline or rough draft
- Do any required reading before coming to us for assistance
- Take assignments seriously
- Participate actively in the tutoring session
WHEN WE ARE AVAILABLE…
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Friday – Saturday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
WHOM TO CONTACT…
Writing Center Help Desk