As a student enrolled at Mountain View College J.L. LaManna Learning Center, you have access to the same library resources as our on-campus students. See the options below for obtaining library materials.
Option 1: Come to the Mountain View Library
Although coming to the campus to use the library may be inconvenient for some, it is often the best way to get the right items in a timely manner.
- Remember to bring your student ID card -- you will need it to check out books.
- You may wish to read through our Library Borrowing Privileges found in the Student Services section of our Website - http://www.mountainviewcollege.edu/library/Pages/default.aspx Check our library hours in the FAQ section of our Website, or call the library at (214) 860-8669 to check our hours before coming. You may also want to call the library to make sure we have the items you are seeking before you come.
- Plan ahead. Search the Online Catalog for our holdings of books, periodicals, and video tapes (including telecourse videos) before you come to the library (make sure you limit your search to Mountain View). This will give you more time at the library for things like photocopying and reviewing materials that cannot be checked out.
- To make the best use of your time in the library, ask a reference librarian for help. Because we are familiar with the library and its resources, we can usually find things more quickly than our user.
- If you check out a library book, please be sure to return it by its due date. You are welcome to mail it back. If you need to keep a book beyond the original due date, you can renew it once online at the library website, by coming into the library or by calling the circulation desk at (214) 860-8669.
Option 2: Use the DCCCD Online Databases
The district subscribes to numerous online databases, via the Internet, from which you can instantly gain access to information on various topics (religion, medicine, literature, etc.) from various types of sources (magazines, journals, newspapers, encyclopedias, and more). These databases are not to be confused with the World Wide Web, as they contain information from various printed sources, which are compiled and put into electronic format for rapid retrieval.
Option 3: Request Materials from the Mountain View College Library
You may request that books from the Mountain View College Library be delivered to the office at the J.L. LaManna Learning Center. Delivery of the materials usually takes 2-3 days. If you need material delivered call the Mountain View Library Reference Desk at (214) 860-8527.
Option 4: Borrow Materials from Other DCCCD Campus Libraries
You can physically check out books at any of the other DCCCD campus libraries using your current Mountain View ID card. Keep in mind that you must return the books to the library from which they came.
- View the locations and hours of other DCCCD campus libraries on our Website under DCCCD CampusLibraries.
- You may also request (via the DCCCD Online Catalog) that a book from another DCCCD campus be sent to Mountain View (or any other DCCCD campus) for checkout. Read about Inter-Campus Loans from our Website by clicking on Student Services and then Library Borrowing Privileges.
- See a reference librarian to request an article from another DCCCD campus library.
Option 5: Use Other Libraries with Your TexShare Card
The TexShare Card Program is a free reciprocal borrowing program that allows the registered users of participating TexShare institutions to directly borrow materials from libraries of other participating TexShare institutions.
- Learn how to obtain a TexShare Card at our Website by clicking on Student Services and then Library Borrowing Privileges.
- To access the online catalogs and lending policies of the various TexShare libraries from our Website, click on Other Library Catalogs on the Web and then TexShare Catalogs on the Web.
- Before visiting any TexShare library, you may want to call ahead to verify that it does honor TexShare cards. A picture ID may also be required, so be sure to bring one along.
Option 6: Request an Inter-Library Loan (ILL) Through the DCCCD Online Catalog
This is a free service whereby books and articles that are NOT available within the DCCCD can be borrowed from a distant library and be sent to one of the DCCCD campuses for checkout. ILL’s that are available in the state of Texas may arrive within 3-4 workdays, whereas those outside the state may take up to 2-3 weeks. (Use the ILL service only after determining that a particular book or article is not held within the district). Please ask a reference librarian for needed assistance regarding this service.
- Learn how to request an ILL by clicking on Student Services and then Library Borrowing Privileges from our library Website.
NOTE: You may also request an ILL from your local public library or your high school library. Ask a librarian at these sites for assistance.
Option 7: Contact Us for Library Assistance
You do not have to come on campus to ask a reference question or to get help using our resources. Give us a call at the reference desk at (214) 860-8527. For general library information (hours of operation, directions, etc.) please either view our library Website or call the circulation desk at (214) 860-8669. For more information on any of the above services call the Mountain View Library Reference Desk at (214) 860-8527