|PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DEFINITION: All Professional Development activities should contribute to an employee’s ability to serve Mountain View College by the advancement, extension or enhancement of his/her professional skills and knowledge.|
Full time and limited full time Faculty, Administrators and Professional Support Staff are expected to complete thirty (30) Professional Development hours during each academic year (Fall – Summer II).
There are four categories in which employees may earn Professional Development credit:
- College Enhancement Activities (Limited to the following items: Fall & Spring Convocation, MVC/DCCCD/Professional Committee Work, Presenting a Professional Development Training, Attending MVC Artistic/Cultural Events, Community Service within the MVC Service Area, Sustainability Training, Sponsoring a Student Organization.)
- Technology Enhancement Activities (Colleague, Microsoft Office, eCampus, ePortfolio, Camtasia, Echo360, and other software or information technology training.)
- Instructional Enhancement Activities (Teaching workshops, education seminars, Conferences/ Specialty Programs, Faculty Research and Publishing, Adjunct Mentoring, Visions of Excellence, and other professional development activities that directly contribute to the instructional mission of MVC.)
- Professional Enhancement Activities (Campus Emergency/Safety Training, FERPA Training, Customer Service Training, Diversity Training, Leadership Series, ‡Educational Advancement, Regulatory Training, Conferences/Specialty Programs, Interest/Strengths Assessment, Skill Certifications, and other activities that directly contribute to an employee’s ability to serve Mountain View College by the advancement, extension or enhancement of his/her professional skills and knowledge.)
- Note: Professional development credit for Educational Advancement must be approved at the division/dean level.
|PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDIT SHOULD NOT INCLUDE recreational activities, social activities, wellness activities, non-MVC artistic/cultural events, community service outside the MVC service area, student life events not designed/intended to include MVC employee training, or other items that do not directly contribute to an employee’s ability to serve Mountain View College by the advancement, extension or enhancement of his/her professional skills and knowledge.|
After completing the required 30 hours, employees are highly encouraged to participate in additional professional development activities throughout the year.
The Professional Development Office records employee participation using the Conductor tracking system. To view your transcript, you must have the Conductor software loaded on your desktop computer. At any time, you may also contact the Professional Development Office to view or obtain a copy of your official record.
Requirements for New Employees
ALL new full-time employees are expected to complete a minimum of seven (7) hours of formal training within 12 months of hire date, in the following areas:
- Location safety/emergency training – ½ hour
- FERPA – 1 hour
- Local New Employee Orientation – 2 hours
- District New Employee Orientation – 3.5 hours
In addition, all new full-time FACULTY are expected to complete Visions of Excellence (VOE). This 48-hour orientation program offers a variety of learning activities and consists of a three-day Faculty Forum, as well as seven sessions throughout the academic year, most often on the fourth Friday of the month. For more information about VOE, you may contact the Mountain View College VOE Champion, professor Jonathan York.