Information on Service Learning
Service Learning combines academic instruction with active community service, utilizing critical, reflective thinking to examine the world around you and your civic responsibilities. It is not volunteering. It is a mutually beneficial partnership, allowing you to apply what you've learned in the classroom into the real world while developing new skills, improving your critical thinking skills, exploring career possibilities, and making a difference by meeting community needs and increasing citizen support.
Release of Liability Form
Fill out and submit a 'Release of Liability Form'.
If student is under 18, parent or legal guardian must sign this form for student to participate in Service Learning.
Service Learning Application for Enrollment
Download and submit a 'Service Learning Application for Enrollment' Form.
Steps for a Successful Service Learning Student
- 1. Select an agency from the Service Learning newspaper.
2. Make a telephone call to the contact person for the agency you select and sign up for the agency's orientation.
3. Complete and turn in the Service Learning Application and Legal Release Form to Oscar Santos in S2080..
4. If you are interested in receiving one credit hour for Service Learning on your college transcript, enroll for SPCH 1145 in the Enrollment Management Office. In-county tuition is usually $52. Contact Dr. Quentin Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org) for 2 short writing assignments.
5. Ask your professors if they offer extra credit for completed volunteer projects.
6. Attend your agency's orientation and start your volunteer hours.
7. Every time you volunteer, write the hours on your timesheet and get a supervisor's signature.
8. Attend one of the on-campus Reflection Group meetings in April.
9. Complete the minimum number of hours that is required by your agency by Sunday, April 20.
10. Turn in your completed timesheet to Oscar Santos by November 15th.
11. Attend the on-campus Student Recognition Ceremony in May and receive your certificate for completing your project.