Our emphasis is on teaching the writing process, and our goal is to help you become a better writer.
has been an integral focus of Mountain View College since the college’s
inception in August 1970. The college’s history with writing begins
with initiatives within the Developmental Writing and English
departments that later expanded to college-wide initiatives” (Mountain
View College, Dallas, TX - QEP Submission: The Pen Is Our Power, 19).
mission of the ACW is to produce better writers, and this is best
achieved by focusing on the three goals of MVCs Quality Enhancement Plan
(QEP): (1) To improve the perceptions, behaviors and abilities of
student writers, (2) increase the amount and prominence of writing in
academic coursework, and (3) nurture a culture of writing through
awareness, exposure and modeling.
WHO WE ARE…
- The Ink Spot Academic Center for Writing (ACW) provides MVC
students, staff, faculty, and the local community free consultations on
all aspects of writing.
- The ACW is staffed with highly qualified educators within the English, Education, ESL and Special Education fields.
- We have done A LOT of writing, and are eager to help you find your VOICE on the page.
WHAT WE DO…
- Assist students with all phases of the writing process
- Teach you how to identify patterns of errors in your writing
- Help you learn how to correct those errors on your own
- Help improve your writing style and interpret instructors’ comments on graded papers
- Help you avoid specific problems in writing
- Teach higher order concerns, such as process, development, use of resources, and critical thinking
WHAT WE DO NOT DO…
- Proofread or edit papers for you
- Tell you what grade you should earn on an assignment
- Help you less than two hours before your assignment is due
- Write for you or mark on your paper
HOW WE CAN HELP…
- Answer your questions
- Help you review your essays
- Listen to your ideas and give feedback
- Help you plan the next step of the writing process
- Advise you on time management
- Help you print your writing assignments
HOW YOU CAN HELP…
- Bring in an outline or rough draft
- Do any required reading before coming to us for assistance
- Take your assignment seriously
- Participate actively in the tutoring session
WHEN WE CAN HELP YOU…
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Friday – Saturday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
WHOM TO CONTACT…
Writing Center Help Desk